Surrey Canadian Baseball Association (SCBA) is excited to announce our SCBA Return-to-Play Plan! This plan will guide the opportunity we have to get the kids back on the field playing the game they love and enjoy. We need to have our plan in place and approved by our Provincial Sport Organization - Baseball BC and the City of Surrey before we will be allowed to resume. And we need to know that we will have enough players and coaches to implement the plan.
There is a lot of information within this announcement - please take the time to read it through. You will want to comprehend what the program will look like before deciding whether or not to return to play in 2020.
SCBA has decided to only offer programming for U11 (Mosquito), U13 (Peewee), U15 (Bantam) and U18 (Midget). SCBA has communicated with all our families of younger children (U9) and are disappointed that program restrictions would make it too difficult for these younger children to participate.
1. 2020 Modified Baseball Season: Saturday July 4 – Monday October 12
Normally our Spring season consists of 10 weeks of practices and play. SCBA is expecting to run a season starting Saturday, July 4 and extending to Monday, October 12. This 15-week modified season would allow families to miss some sessions because of summer plans or the restart of other fall sports while still giving value for their registration fees. It would replace our normal and separate Fall Ball season. There is even a possibility of tournaments or Provincials in the Fall, stay tuned.
2. Members Options:
SCBA recognizes that each family and member are in their own unique situation and we want to be respectful and sensitive to each. Each family will need to do what is right for them and their situation.
There are 4 options to choose from:
i. Play the 2020 Modified Baseball Season. Spring registration fee will be applied to 2020 Modified Baseball Season. No action required before June 24.
ii. Play - Re-Register (if you already received or requested a refund and now wish to play).
Link to SCBA Registration Page
iii. Don’t play - defer registration fees until next Spring season – even if registration fees go up, or if you are moving up an age division, your Spring registration fees will be 100% paid in full.
iv. Don’t play - request 100% Refund (please allow 6 weeks to process). PLEASE CHOOSE BY WEDNESDAY JUNE 24 if you wish to re-register, or defer to 2021 season or request refund.
IF you want to defer registration fees to next season or IF you want a refund of your registration fees, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and state which option you are choosing. THIS NEEDS TO BE SENT BY JUNE 24 - after which time we will assume you are playing and assign your child to a team and no further refunds will be given.
SPRING/SUMMER SINGLE SEASON TEAMS: Midget AAA, Bantam AA, Pee Wee AA teams were selected in the Spring. There will be no additional try-out opportunities for these teams unless needed to fill rosters. Players on these teams will be contacted by coach / manager shortly (if not already) for details on your return to play.
3. SCBA Return to Play - Further Information
Our return to play must adhere to provincial health and Baseball BC guidelines, as well as City of Surrey requirements (so we are allowed to use the fields). Timing of progressions from one phase to the next will be dictated by those authorities. All Sports have completed PHASE 1 (no play at all) and can move into the current PHASE 2 which includes initial small group training which COULD last for the duration of the modified season. PHASE 3, when announced (anytime between now and the end of the modified season) will allow for some games with limited travel, and only PHASE 4 (this year or next?) will allow for a full return to normal.
Here are the current restrictions in PHASE 2 of Baseball’s Return to Play:
• No group gatherings over 50
• Maximum of 10 athletes and 2 coaches per diamond; the City of Surrey is not allowing spectators during Phase 2, but there is an allowed rule of maximum of 1 parent per player to be present in the park, and these adults will be expected to help with required chores such as field prep, disinfection of baseballs and equipment and taking attendance records as required by public health should any contact tracing be required
• Teams with more than 10 players will be divided up by coaches in to smaller group practices of 10 or fewer
• Everyone including players, coaches, parents, volunteers must maintain 2m physical distancing in and around the field (includes baseball plays and drills; players cannot break the 2m distance at any time)
• no shared personal equipment, any team equipment to be disinfected before and after use.
• Cage and concession will remain closed
• Washrooms will be accessible, 1 person at a time (will be cleaned up to twice daily)
4. Health and Safety
The SCBA Return to Play Plan has been developed for baseball in order to ensure health and safety of all individuals (players, coaches, volunteers, staff, parents). Baseball activities must be in alignment with provincial health recommendations, otherwise we won’t be allowed to play. Modifications to activities are in place in order to reduce the risks to each sport organization and its participants, and this plan is uniform across the province, except for specific municipal regulations relating to park use.
While we do hope things will return to normal in the not too distant future, currently this Return to Play Plan will be the “new normal” until we are advised otherwise by public health authorities.
If you choose to participate, you MUST follow these rules:
• If you don’t feel well or are displaying symptoms of COVID-19, you must stay home or will be returned home.
• If you have traveled outside of Canada, you are not permitted at the facility / field until you have self-isolated for a minimum of 14 days.
• If you live in a household or been in contact with someone who has COVID-19 or is showing symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home.
• Wash your hands before participating
• No spitting, chewing gums, sunflower seeds
• Bring your own equipment, water bottle and hand sanitizer (no sharing) (masks are not mandatory but feel free to wear them)
• Comply with 2-meter physical distancing measures at all time
• Avoid physical contact with others, including shaking hands, high fives, team huddles, etc.
• Leave the field of play IMMEDIATELY after you finish (no staying around, leave the area to your vehicle and drive away)
Our plan is based on current public health guidance. While we are all doing our best to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19, while the virus circulates in our communities it is impossible to completely eliminate the risk. Each participant must make their own decision as to whether it is in their best interest to resume participation at this time. You must take into account your own circumstances and make the decision that is right for you. Should you choose to join us, we require your full cooperation with our SCBA Return to Play Plan.
5. Waiver and Further Information
Parents and participants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Baseball BC Return to Play Guidelines and PHASE 2 action plan available online prior to registering at: LINK TO BASEBALL BC RETURN TO PLAY GUIDELINES
IF you are going to participate – YOU MUST READ, AGREE TO, SIGN AND RETURN THE ATTACHED WAIVERS:
While we are aware that the government has passed recent legislation prohibiting legal action against volunteers from any COVID-19 related issues each parent will still need to sign a waiver prior to their child returning to the field. Please review, print and sign the waiver and email back or bring it to your first practice. Coaches will have a few on hand if you are unable to print the form; however no one is able to participate until signed. Even if you are unable to print the waiver please take your time to review the waiver. IF YOU ARE STILL REGISTERED AND DO NOT REPLY BEFORE JUNE 24, WE WILL ASSUME YOU AGREE TO SIGN WAIVERS AND PARTICIPATE AND NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED AFTER THAT DATE.
The Executive have approved the following policies, in compliance with BC Minor Baseball and the City of Surrey:
We will enter the Modified Baseball Season with hope that our players will not lose their entire year of enjoyment of the game and development as young baseball athletes. We will need everyone in this together to ensure the safety of everyone as we navigate these uncharted basepaths.
We look forward to seeing you at the park!
For Practice times, refer to the following for each division: